Imagine that you are the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company. You are raking in profits like snow falling on a winter Edmonton’s day. You have sold millions and millions of books. A competitor now comes up trying to disrupt you – they also have a book, but it’s more expensive and it does not have any writing in it – it does not cater at all to the reader. You laugh at the competitor and think that in a few years, they will have to go back to the drawing board.
Years later, you realize only a little too late that this is what customers actually wanted. Only it’s not books, it’s a smartphone. And the new competitor is Apple with their iPhone.
In this episode, we hear a clip from Freakonomics from their CEO series and we discuss:
- Where else will you get a three times return on your listening investment? The Remix Podcast with Shawn and Wang!
- Wang talks about the time when he saw Steve Ballmer in a meme video
- the Freakonomics podcast and the CEO series
- Wang shares his thoughts on what Steve Ballmer said
- Why it is difficult to predict disruption and innovation and Shawn shares his thoughts on why Microsoft was slow to innovate
- Wang’s suggestion on how to innovate
- Wang asks Shawn – if the Microsoft CEO came to him and asked him how to completely disrupt Microsoft’s business, what would Shawn recommend?
- Shawn asks Wang what he has learned from the CEO series of podcasts on Freakonomics and Wang shares what he has learned from Indra Nooyi – the CEO of Pepsi Co
- Do Indians need to sleep?
- Shawn makes a surprising observation about the CEOs on Freakonomics
- Shawn and Wang talk about the importance of diversity on boards and in companies
What do you think about the CEO series in Freakonomics?
Subscribe to The Remix Podcast with Shawn and Wang on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play or your favourite podcast player. Rate and review us on iTunes – your ratings and reviews help new listeners find us and help us improve the podcast.
Are you interested in more great content from Shawn and Wang? DM your e-mail to @wangyip and subscribe to The Remix Newsletter where we send out the best articles, snippets and quotes that we have come across every two weeks on Thursdays.
@shawnkanungo and @wangyip