In this episode of The Remix with Shawn and Wang, we hear a clip from Seth Godin’s Akimbo podcast on long term thinking. Seth Godin is the man! He is a hall of fame marketer and has been featured in our podcast previously because he has such profound insights that help us think about everything in a new and better light.
Not only do we hear a clip from Seth Godin, but we also talk about:
- What book Wang has read recently and what the key takeaways from the book were for him
- Shawn summarizes the book in a key statement
- We hear a clip from Seth Godin that talks about the origins of Superman and how this relates to long term thinking
- Shawn talks about the hidden downside of long term thinking and Wang realizes its not all roses
- Shawn talks about the flexibility and agility of Amazon
- Wang and Shawn debate whether the average person thinks long term enough
- Shawn shares a 10 year goal and one of his weird goals
- Wang shares his list of long term thinking vs. short term thinking and candidly shares where he has thought about things in the short term rather than in the long term
- Shawn shares his thoughts on long term thinking within consulting and how big companies are thinking about things in the long term
- Wang shares a story about Elon after getting a huge payout in Paypal and how he thought about the next thing to work on
- Shawn and Wang share their thoughts on billable hours and why it may not be the best metric to use to motivate employees and Wang talks about IBM sales and what they did to motivate employees (and it wasn’t through a specific metric)
- Shawn sums it up in a beautiful equation
Show us some love! Rate and review us on iTunes and subscribe to The Remix with Shawn and Wang to get more of our thoughts and thinking. Already subscribed, rated and reviewed us? Let us know what you think of the podcast or if you have questions you want to ask us about long term thinking, tweet us!
@shawnkanungo and @wangyip