Shawn and Wang seem to be on the same brain wavelength – are we morphing into the same person? Some of our audience members enjoy that we have conflicting, sometimes opposing views – will this change whether audiences will listen to us?
We hear a clip from Adam Grant’s podcast (and Malcolm Gladwell’s podcast) where Adam and Malcolm debate a wide variety of topics. In particular, one story that we did not talk about in the podcast episode which I found fascinating is the story of Malcolm Gladwell’s job as a journalist. He had moved over from Canada to work for a news company as a journalist and there was a bit of some reluctance among the journalists to do any stories about hurricanes – mostly because you would get stuck in a city out in the middle of nowhere and you would not how long you would have to stay. When Malcolm was sent out to do a hurricane story out in Columbia, he decided that he would go to South America’s Columbia instead of Columbia in the U.S. When his boss found out, he blamed it on the fact that he’s Canadian and that he did not that there was more than one Columbia (but in fact, he had purposely done a bad job so that he wouldn’t get those assignments in the future). Doing a bad job to avoid work? Awesome.
We also remix our thoughts on:
- Why Shawn is a big fan of Adam Grant and Malcolm Gladwell
- We hear Adam and Malcolm debate teams vs. individuals
- Wang arguably thinks that the best player in the NBA is Lebron James (please no hate mail or death threats) and his impact on teams
- Shawn asks Wang whether he has seen this team vs. individual effect
- How you engineer a team so that you get the best results – Wang talks about his role as a manager and what he tries to do when he manages or leads a team
- Shawn argues that this is one of the most difficult things to do – why?
- Why is it that a team can be successful in a certain situation and why they might not be successful in other situations – Shawn shares a story about his buddy Z and him and the different scenarios where he has succeeded and not succeeded
If you haven’t already, subscribe to The Remix with Shawn and Wang – we’re on your favourite podcast player (Google Play, PocketCasts, iTunes, Stitcher, IheartRadio) . Also leave us a rating and review because it helps us improve the podcast and find new listeners. Tickets will be coming out soon for the live event!
Tweet us and let us know what you think about The Remix. Do you like the podcasts that we are featuring? Wish that there was another podcast that we should listen to? Can you engineer a better team?
@shawnkanungo and @wangyip
P.S. If you left a review on iTunes and identified yourself as managementconsultant, please let us know so that we can provide proper attribution for your review!